1. Registration with a regulatory body that includes psychotherapy in its scope of practice
2. Didactic/experiential (*minimum six days, three of which include formal, in-person clinician training) by certified EFFT trainers
3. Facilitation of ten documented caregiver block chair-work interventions
4. Completion of ten documented clinician block chair-work interventions (with at least five as facilitator)
5. Directed **supervision (minimum of ten hours) in individual or group format (a recommended maximum of 5 participants) with focus on core components of the model and facilitated by a certified EFFT supervisor
*Training days can include:
· attending a core or advanced EFFT training (repeat attendance meets criteria) lead by a certified EFFT trainer
· observing a two-day EFFT caregiver workshop lead by a certified EFFT facilitator
· attending two half-day online trainings lead by a EFFT trainer
· completing six hours of individual EFFT supervision lead by a certified EFFT supervisor/trainer (in addition to criterion 5 above)
When necessary, additional equivalents will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
**Please use the Supervision Guide to structure your supervision sessions. Number of supervision hours will be determined in collaboration with the supervisor, taking into consideration training and clinical experience. Supervision can take place in person or via secure video. Supervision can also include participation as a trainee at a core or advanced training or caregiver workshop led by a certified trainer or facilitator. Supervisors complete a supervision checklist to be submitted with the application for certification.
Please note: Should financial constraints interfere with one’s ability to meet the certification criteria, please contact us for support in navigating the process.
Ongoing certification process:
Re-certification occurs every 2 years. At the time of re-certification, certified EFFT therapists will be required to submit:
a. 5 completed clinician block logs
b. 5 completed caregiver block logs
c. a record of 5 hours of EFFT-related professional development activities
i. Such activities include: viewing previously recorded EFFT training videos or webinars; participation in live EFFT webinars through Mental Health Foundations; participation in individual or group supervision with a certified EFFT supervisor or trainer; participation in a certified caregiver workshop or EFFT training – a log for submission is attached
c. an administrative fee of $40 USD
Do I need to first certify as an EFFT Therapist before moving toward Advanced status?
It is not necessary to certify as an EFFT therapist prior to working towards criteria for the Advanced designation.
There are no clinician trainings or caregiver workshops offered in my area. How can I obtain the necessary training?
A minimum of three in-person didactic/experiential clinician training days are required to fulfill the six day training requirement. That said, an individual training plan can be structured to support the completion of three of the six days through a combination of online training and online individual and group supervision.
Can I begin individual supervision before I have completed in-person clinician training?
Although it is preferred to commence supervision following formal training, it is possible to begin prior to doing so.
How do I know if an EFFT supervisor is approved?
The website has a list of EFFT certified supervisors and trainers.
Do I submit recordings as part of the EFFT Therapist Certification?
Video recordings are only mandatory in the context of the Advanced EFFT Therapist certification.
Copyright © 2017 International Institute for Emotion-Focused Family Therapy - All Rights Reserved.