1. Registration with a regulatory body that includes psychotherapy in its scope of practice
2. Didactic/experiential (*minimum six days, three of which include formal, in-person clinician training) by certified EFFT trainers
3. Facilitation of ten documented caregiver block chair-work interventions
4. Completion of ten documented clinician block chair-work interventions (with at least five as facilitator)
5. Directed **supervision (minimum 15 hours of video supervision) in individual format with a certified EFFT supervisor. Supervision hours must include a review of five recorded caregiver block chair-work interventions and two clinician block chair-work interventions.
*Training days can include:
· attending a core or advanced EFFT training (repeat attendance meets criteria) lead by certified EFFT trainer
· observing a two-day EFFT caregiver workshop lead by certified EFFT facilitator
· attending two half-day online trainings lead by a EFFT trainer
· completing six hours of individual EFFT supervision lead by a certified EFFT supervisor/trainer (in addition to criterion 5 above)
When necessary, additional equivalents will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
**Please use the Supervision Guide to structure your supervision sessions. Number of supervision hours will be determined in collaboration with the supervisor, taking into consideration training and clinical experience. Supervision can take place in person or via secure video. Video supervision can be demonstration of any component, module, or intervention of EFFT. Supervision can also include participation as a trainee at a core or advanced training or caregiver workshop led by a certified trainer or facilitator. Supervisors complete a supervision checklist to be submitted with the application for certification.
Please note: Should financial constraints interfere with one’s ability to meet the certification criteria, please contact us for support in navigating the process.
Individuals interested in supervisor and trainer requirements can discuss training plans during the course of Advanced EFFT Therapist certification.
Ongoing certification process:
Re-certification occurs every 2 years. At the time of re-certification, certified advanced EFFT therapists will be required to submit:
a. 5 completed clinician block logs
b. 5 completed caregiver block logs
c. a record of 5 hours of EFFT-related professional development activities
i. Such activities include: viewing previously recorded EFFT training videos or webinars; participation in live EFFT webinars through Mental Health Foundations; participation in individual or group supervision with a certified EFFT supervisor or trainer; participation in a certified caregiver workshop or EFFT training – a log for submission is attached
c. an administrative fee of $40 USD
Do I send my video recordings for Advanced EFFT Certification to the International Institute for EFFT?
No. Video recordings will be reviewed in-session with your supervisor using a video platform that allows for screen sharing. The video platform needs to be secure and encrypted.
How long are the video recordings?
The tapes are approximately 20-40 minutes in length and will cover the entire chair-work process from identifying the marker to final discussion with client.
Can the recordings be audio only?
Video recordings are required for Advanced EFFT Therapist Certification.
Do I need to send a transcript of the recording?
A transcript is not required unless the recording is in a foreign language.
Do I need to first certify as an EFFT Therapist before moving toward Advanced status?
It is not necessary to certify as an EFFT therapist prior to working towards criteria for the Advanced designation.
Application Form (pdf)Download
Supervision Checklist (pdf)Download
Caregiver Block Chair-Work Record Form (pdf)Download
Caregiver Block Chair-Work Summary (pdf)Download
Clinician Block Chair-Work Record Form (pdf)Download
Clinician Block Chair-Work Summary (pdf)Download
Example of Consent to Record (pdf)Download
Copyright © 2017 International Institute for Emotion-Focused Family Therapy - All Rights Reserved.