1. Registration with a regulatory body that does not encompass psychotherapy in its scope of practice (e.g. nursing, child and youth care, dietetics, occupational therapist)
2. Didactic/experiential training by EFFT trainers (*minimum four days, two of which include formal, in-person clinician training)
3. Completion of five documented clinician block chair-work interventions (with at least two as facilitator)
4. Directed **supervision (minimum of ten hours) in individual or group format (a recommended maximum of 5 participants) focused on applicable components of the model & facilitated by one or more EFFT supervisors. Supervisors complete a supervision checklist to be submitted with the application for certification.
*Training days can include:
· attending a core or advanced EFFT training (repeat attendance meets criteria) lead by a EFFT trainer
· attending two half-day online trainings lead by a EFFT trainer
· observing a two-day EFFT caregiver workshop lead by certified EFFT facilitator
· completing six hours of individual EFFT supervision lead by a certified EFFT supervisor/trainer (in addition to criterion 4 above)
When necessary, additional equivalents will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
**Please use the Supervision Guide to structure your supervision sessions. Number of supervision hours will be determined in collaboration with the supervisor, taking into consideration training and clinical experience. Supervision can take place in person or via secure video. Supervision can also include participation as a trainee at a core or advanced training or caregiver workshop led by a certified trainer or facilitator.
Please note: Should financial constraints interfere with one’s ability to meet the certification criteria, please contact us for support in navigating the process.
Ongoing certification process:
Re-certification occurs every 2 years. At the time of re-certification, certified EFFT clinicians will be required to submit:
a. 5 completed clinician block logs
b. a record of 5 hours of EFFT-related professional development activities
i. Such activities include: viewing previously recorded EFFT training videos or webinars; participation in live EFFT webinars through Mental Health Foundations; participation in individual or group supervision with a certified EFFT supervisor or trainer; participation in a certified caregiver workshop or EFFT training – a log for submission is attached.
c. an administrative fee of $40 USD
There are no clinician trainings or caregiver workshops offered in my area. How can I obtain the necessary training?
A minimum of two-day in-person didactic/experiential clinician training days are required to fulfill the four day training requirement. That said, an individual training plan can be structured to support the completion of two of the four days through a combination of online training and individual and group supervision delivered long-distance and online.
Can I begin individual supervision before I have completed in-person clinician training? Although it is preferred to commence supervision following formal training, it is possible to begin prior to doing so.
How do I know if an EFFT supervisor is certified?
The website has a list of EFFT certified supervisors and trainers.
Do I submit video recordings as part of the EFFT Clinician Certification?
Video recordings are only mandatory in the context of the Advanced EFFT Therapist certification.
Can I facilitate caregiver block chair-work with my clients?
Caregiver block chair-work is a psychotherapeutic intervention and therefore is an intervention restricted for psychotherapists.
Copyright © 2017 International Institute for Emotion-Focused Family Therapy - All Rights Reserved.